Only Admins can enable or disable integrations.
The Action Builder to Action Network integration allows you to connect your Action Network groups to Action Builder campaigns. By connecting AN and AB, you are able to pull activists from AN into AB as entities and subscribe entities with emails or mobile phone numbers to your Action Network group. You can also map AB responses, with AN tags to allow data to pass back and forth between the two systems.
What Data Is Transferred
Once your integration is live, any entities in the connected Action Builder campaign will be matched to the Action Network group by email address. If the entity has more than one email address, then the match will be done on the best AB email. If the entity cannot be matched to an activist in AN, then a new activist will be created. However, the activist will only be subscribed to the AN group if the email address is marked as "Subscribed". Otherwise, the activist is created but listed as unsubscribed.
After the initial match, contact information and tags will be synced between AN and AB as well as any AN Tags — AB Responses that have been mapped (see below). The sync will occur approximately once an hour.
How to Set Up the Integration
To first set up your AN to AB integration, you'll need to be an Action Network partner and set up an API Key. You can learn more about setting up an API key for AN here.
Once you have your API key, go to the Admin Menu and find the option for Integrations. Click on the Action Network option and select Add Group, then copy and paste the API key from AN.
If successful, the group's name will appear after saving.
Next head to the Action Builder campaign that you want to link. From the campaign, find the customize tab and select Integrations. Open up Action Network and click in the box to select the group that you want to link. (Note that AB campaigns can only be linked to one AN group, but groups can be linked to more than one campaign).
After selecting the group, a "Magic Tag" will be created in your Action Network group and will be listed in Action Builder. Any activist with that tag in Action Network will be pulled into your Action Builder campaign.
Integration Training Recording
Force Action Network < > Action Builder Integration to Sync Manually
Only Admins can make changes to integrations.
In rare instances, records may not update as intended during the sync. A fix for this is on the backlog.
Following the steps below will force the sync to run and update records if updates did not occur where they should have.
- In Action Builder, create a field (ex. "Manual Sync") and a response (ex. "Run")
- In Action Network create a tag ( ex. "Force-Sync")
- In Action Builder, on the Integration tab, add a mapping for the field and tag
- In Action Builder, use the Quick Apply to 'Add Response' to every person/entity you need updated
- Wait for the sync to run, which generally takes an hour
Please be aware that:
- Records only update when a change happens
- You can do this to force the ANAB sync to run
- This will update any tags and responses that didn't run prior
- After you force the sync it should go back into regular sync
- In the future, you can continue to use the sync field, but you will first have to remove the response from everyone, and then use Quick Apply to re-apply the response